Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Case for Running: The Race

So I meant to post this yesterday, but things (meanly 4 little rugrats needed all of my attention) got in the way.  So here is my day-late installament of A Case for Running.

Ever been at the gym pedaling your hardest on a spinning bike or rotating those legs on a elliptical machine and have someone come up to you and say, "Hey wanna race?"  No.  People don't race on exercise equipment.  Thus, that's all those things are, just exercise. And having something just be for exercise is great.   Running, however, is a form of exercise with the prospect of something exciting happening every once in a while.  I don't know if you've ever been in a race, but they are quite thrilling.  Even if you don't win, the result of having completed an endurance race is very real and extremely rewarding.  After all that hard work to become a better runner, there is a way to show off your new skills at an event that celebrates the conquest over long miles, threatening hills, and a body that you never thought could handle something like running.  If you've got something to work toward, a race or the prospect of even winning a race, you work harder and gain more and more from a sport that most people think is too hard or simply crazy. 
As I posted earlier this week, I completed my first 5K and I didn't come anywhere near winning, but the thrill of running past that finish line knowing that I ran the distance and did my best was the best reward I could've asked for.  All those long miles finally added up to something.  I've done the elliptical thing and, I'm not sure if you've notice, but you don't go anywhere!  Of course any piece of exercise equipment can help us lose weight and tone, but wouldn't it make everything more fun if all of our hard work was for a purpose beyond just getting rid of some love handles?  I loved the feeling from my first race so much that I'm racing again this Saturday in the Scenic River Classic.  I'm doing another 5K to see if I can beat my time.  The prospect of competing against myself, to see if I've gotten better means more to me than any weight loss involved.  This is why running is so great!

So, if you're looking for a reason to become a runner, here is my 4th reason:  The Race!  Here again, I challenge anyone who reads this to sign up for a race.  If you already have signed up, tell me about it.  I'd love to cheer you on, even if I can't be there in person.  If you need help finding a race to run in, let me know.  I've already found a few races for people who aren't from Idaho and I know I can help you find a race too.   

Interested in running a race?  Better train for it! Click here for tips on race preparation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

After juggling with schedules, I am able to do the Scenic River Classic Saturday! I am actually a little worried! I have NEVER done anything like this- but I have to agree whole heartily on your post- exercise is just exercise and can become very boring unless there is a goal behind it besides losing pounds and inches (which can take a long time-but it will happen) but gaining endurance and cardio health to run in a race is a fun prospect that can always be used and perfected and measured outside of our body measurement goals!

Anna said...

Wonderful, Robyn! Maybe I'll see you there!

Anna said...

And thanks for becoming a follower, Robyn!