Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Playlist

A friend from high school, who commented on my very first post here, said she was interested to know what music I run to, what I had in my playlist.  So, I've decided to add a playlist to this blog so you can hear what I run to and decide if any of the songs will work for you.   I also want to give you a little insight as to why I listen to the songs I do during a run.

"Touch My Hand" - David Archuleta
No I am not some doe-eyed, fell-in-love-him-at-first-sight 14 year-olds just because I like one song by David Archuleta.  I use this song to warm up.  It's a good one for a slow jog or a walk before I start actually running.  It's got a good beat.

"Haight Street" - Anberlin
When I think of this song, I think "peppy."  It's happy, it's high energy and it's good for the beginning of a run, which to me, is the hardest part of a run.

"Know Your Enemy" - Green Day
Any other children of the early 90's will appreciate Green Day in this playlist.  Once again, a very good beat, almost to the point that my feet touch the ground with each one.

"Around the Bend" - The Asteriods Galaxy Tour
I got this song off of a iPOD commercial.  Wonderful beat that I sometimes want to stop running to so I can dance.  For the sake of any dignity I might have, I do not stop to dance.

"Everybody Love Me" - OneRepublic
Who doesn't need a little confidence boost mid-run?  A song totally about being a rock star means you totally feel like struttin' your stuff out on the road...totally.

"Misery Business" - Paramore
If you know anything by Paramore, then you know that they don't do much else than super up-tempo stuff.  This song talks about a girl finally getting what she wanted, which in her case is some guy.  I like to pretend I'm getting what I want which is a body that doesn't look like I've had 4 kids.

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
Has a good beat.  No other reason really, except who doesn't love a song by a guy named Ferdinand, I mean come on!

"SOS" - Rihanna
Okay, so I don't listen to artists like Rihanna on a regular basis or ever really, but it helps me run, so I listen to it.

"Sober" - Pink
This song has a strong beat, but it's not necessarily up-tempo.  I use this song once I've got my rhythm going and I just to stay on beat.

"Shadow of the Day" - Linkin Park
This too is a song when I'm already set into the run and just need to stay on target.  Good strong beat.

"Don't Stop the Music" - Rhianna
Another Rihanna song I know.  When I think of this song and "SOS" I picture it being used in countless aerobics classes around the country.  Don't you?

"Unbreakable" - Fireflight
This song is meant to be about someone being "unbreakable" in terms of their faith.  I choose to make it more about being unbreakable in my will to keeping going.  It works.  This is one I often try to sprint to.

"Marching On" - OneRepublic
This one has a good beat, but it's mainly motivational.  It's all about overcoming the hard times.  Perfect right?  It has lines in it like, "For those doubts that swirl all around us, for those lies that tear at the seams.  We know we're not what we seem.  For this dance we move each other.  There ain't no other step than one foot right in front of the other."  Great stuff, I say.  OneRepublic is my new favorite band by the way.

"You, Me and the Bourgeoisie" - The Submarines
Another song I just want to dance to.  It's got an interesting message entirely not related to running, but I still like it.

"I Gotta Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas
Another band that I don't listen to much, but some of their stuff is cool.  This one has a constant beat, which helps with running and it just makes you feel like moving and moving and moving and moving and....

"Shut Up and Let Me Go" - The Ting Tings
I think these guys are British.  Anyway, another good beat.

"Decode" - Paramore
Despite that this song is on the Twlight soundtrack (sorry if you're a fan), it's good and this is a good song in that is has a constant beat, but then it speeds up for a bit, so it makes you want to run faster.  From what I've learned about exercise, it's good to have variation in how fast your heartrate is.

"Single Ladies" - Beyonce
Beyonce is in the same category as Rihanna.  I think Beyonce is talented, she's just not my style.  But when it comes to running, you gotta listening to anything that you need to. 

"Let it Rock" - Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne
For the record, I'm completely against the word or shortened word "lil" in front of anyone's name, but this song was meant for exercising, especially running.  If you download this one, there are two versions: clean and explicit.  I chose the clean one.

"I Do Not Hook Up" - Kelly Clarkson
I really like Kelly Clarkson.  She's got an amazing voice, but more importantly, she didn't take the route of a soft-sung female vocalist.  She went the route of rock and that's cool.  This song has a good up-beat as well.


So there is what is currently listed under my running playlist.  I'm still fiddling with the order of the songs.  I've made sure that I don't run out of music before the run is over.  As I start to go farther, I'll probably have to get more, so if anyone has some suggestions, let me know!

Please comment, I'd loved to know your opinions!

4 comments:

Becky said...

yes, when I listen to things, it makes me run with more energy!

Julie said...

What a fun list, I might take a few of these for my play list!

markandjenny said...

Anna-
I love your blog--I have a run hate relationship with running. When I first started to run, I did it for a marathon. It was the hardest, but at the time, most rewarding thing I had ever done. I don't have time to do a full, maybe someday, but it is hard to have some weekly mileages less than used to be day mileages. Anyway--I don't LOVE to run, but something about it keeps me coming back for it--so maybe I do. Thanks for the playlist, I needed some new tunes!

cleggclan said...

Some of these are ones I wouldn't have thought of for my playlist but they will definitely be added to it now. I love the Greenday addition. I have a few of those and Metalica, collective Soul, Live, and Korn. lol They just bring back good memories and have a great beat. :)Thanks for the list! I think these are great ideas! Keep up the posts! You're getting me closer and closer to getting out there and running. As soon as school is over next week, I have a date with my sneakers and the road...