Thursday, May 3, 2012

Running Stories

I had this feature going last year.  It went really well I think.  I asked other runners to share their stories with all of us.  Working together, I think we mutally inspired each other to give it our all.  So I'm starting that up again.  Here is what I'm after:  A story about how you got into running, why you stay at it and what motivates you.  A story about one particular run or a race story.  Or any other story about your journey as a runner.  Doesn't have to be long or worthy of a Pulitzer Prize, it just has to tell us your story. 

I'll go first.  I published this story last season as I got back into running after my twins were born.  But it's the story of how I got into running and what I've learned since. 

My first run....

What I felt like...
My first real run, and I mean a run that tortured my body for days, lasted a whole 15-20 minutes and went around the block. I was pushing two kids in a jogging stroller I'd purchased before my 2nd daughter was born and I was literally tortured for 15-20 minutes. I don't even know if this pathetic attempt was even a mile's worth. My feet and calves hurt so bad the next day, I amazed myself when I did it again. I guess my motivation was that I realized that this wasn't high school anymore and if I was going to get my body back after two kids, I'd better get my keester out there and do something and since I bought a $250 stroller with the word "jogging" in it's name, I'd better at least attempt another run. That was a long sentence, I know.
That first run turned into an addiction for me. The first run was at the beginning of May, perhaps the end of April, and by July I was able to run 6 miles without blinking. For those that can run a full marathon in your sleep, you may stop laughing now. This was huge for me. And before winter hit, I had started running 8 miles everytime I stepped out the door. During the winter, I continued to run indoors on a loathed treadmill. I don't know why I hate treadmills, but I do. Then as the weather hinted at spring, I got set to run outdoors again only to find out I was expecting.
I got sick right off the bat and the thought of running made my vomit voilently. Then as the sickness went away, 16 WEEKS LATER, I felt like I was too big and that running might rip loose one of the babies I had stashed in me (that's right, I was expecting twins). So I got bigger and the running just stopped. The twins were born in December and after birthing one naturally, meaning ripped out of my loins whilst I screamed, and having an emergency c-section with the other one, running once again made me want to vomit violently.
4 and 1/2 months after the twins arrived, I had run out of excuses. The weather had turned nice. Check. I was no longer suffering the pains of having the worst possible birth story in the history of birth stories. Check. I had stopped losing weight simply because I wasn't pregnant anymore, which meant I needed to work for those last 10lbs. Check. I had my new running mix on my iPod all picked out. Check. I had gained sufficient motivation from watching The Biggest Loser. Check. It was time.
So, it began again. My first run, this time, lasted 3.5 miles. It was blasted hot too. I think I possibly walked a mile of it, but I can't estimate to save my life. The point is, I was back, baby! Tonight I did it again, 3.5-4 miles and I only stopped once to walk to avoid antagonizing a rather mean St. Bernard. I'm, frankly, amazed that I didn't have to start from scratch. My body "remembered" what this was all about and it helped me through it. I'm far away from where I was before, but I'll get there again, you can count on that.

Update:  Since posting that, I ran in 5-6 races, one of the them a 10k.  I cut 10 minutes off my 5k time and got my body back to where I like it.  Now it's a new running/race season and I'm still at it.  Time works against me as raising 4 children and having a part-time job sometimes have to come before running.   I can still run a decent 10k and I'm getting fairly good at running hills.  This year I'll be racing again and my first race is a 5 mile leg of a 40 mile relay in the To Bone and Back race. 

So there is my story.  If you have one you'd like to share, email me at annadurfee@yahoo.com or message me on facebook.  I want pictures too!  Share with us!!!  Look back through my other posts to see stories from other runners from last season.

Who knows?  Maybe your story will inspire someone else!

No comments: