Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Plan

The obvious plan is to run and to keep running.  Just like last year and the year before that.  But I did something different last year and I really liked what it did to my fitness level.  Each week I'd have at least one short run, one fast run, and one long run.  I felt like my body never had a chance to plateau because I was constantly changing it up.  On days I didn't run, I'd do yard work or go biking.  I think it was one of my most successful summers and I was able to shave 10 minutes off my 5k time.  This year, I think I'll keep doing that, but because of the kind of race I'll be doing in June, my long run will ALWAYS include lots of hills.  That is what I did on Saturday.  I ended up doing a 6.5 mile run and almost all of it was on hills.  I didn't know how far I was going, I just kept going and kept exploring the hills.  I was wicked tired by the time I got home.  6.5 miles on flat ground is REALLY different from 6.5 on hills.  My legs felt rather beat by the end, but it felt good as well.  Previous to Saturday's run, I had a good short run of about 3 miles and then I did another 3.2 miles but at a faster pace.


Another part of the plan is not to think too much.  This has always been a part of my plan.  If I wake up in the morning and start the mental debate of whether to run or not, I usually don't go.  So I decided a long time ago that when it comes to running, I don't think, I just do.  Never fails. 

And the last part of my plan: I now run with pepper spray.  This is mostly because of the mountain lion we had around here last year, but it's a good idea in general to have some protection when you go out and run.  Especially if you run in places where you might be vulnerable.

So that's the plan. I like having a plan. It means that I know what I'm meant to do each day to stay ahead of my body. 

Here's to a summer full of being outdoor either running or doing something else fun and exciting. 

Come back soon to check out my race schedule for the summer. 

Happy Running!

1 comment:

PeachPit said...

Every once in awhile I check your blog out- it's a nice motivation for me. I totally felt in the groove with my running last week- ran 5 miles and 6 miles at an 8 minute 41 sec mile. Then I ran 6 miles outside- was crazy how it felt the last 3 miles were all uphill! (they weren't by the way:0) Love running outdoors, but it is nice to have that treadmill at a steady pace. Thanks for sharing your stories!